This Plant a Seed Day, Big Green is awarding grants to nonprofits that activate their communities to plant seeds.
A $25,000 grant will be given to the organization with the most pledges, and five $5,000 grants will be selected randomly. If you represent a nonprofit, you can register your organization for Plant a Seed Day and receive custom tools to help you rally your community to plant with you.
How it works
It’s pretty simple. The more people your organization inspires to participate in Plant a Seed Day, the better your chance of receiving a grant. First, you will register your organization to participate. Upon registering, you’ll receive a custom form. Whenever someone fills out this form, it will count toward your nonprofit’s total pledges.
We will award six grants, one to the nonprofit who inspired the most people to pledge to plant, and five grants will be randomly selected from all eligible nominated and registered organizations. The more you share, the more people will pledge to plant, and the better your chances of winning a grant. The Plant to Grant Challenge closes on May 7, 2023 at midnight (MT).
We have lots of tools to support you, from social media graphics to sample copy. Reach out to our helpdesk for questions!
Plant a Seed Day Nonprofit Toolkit
Help grow your chances of winning the #PlantToGrantChallenge on Plant a Seed Day with this promotional toolkit!
Your organization is likely eligible for a Plant a Seed Day grant IF…
You grow food as a primary area of impact. Examples include urban farms, community gardens, mobile garden education classrooms, etc.
In addition, one of the following must apply:
- You are a nonprofit corporation in good standing.
- You are a governmental entity or tribal government.
- You are registered to solicit charitable contributions.
- You are working within an established fiscal sponsorship* (see fiscal sponsorship details below).
- Tax Classification – organization is a 501(c)(3) public charities or other organizations under Section 170(c)(2)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code (“Code”)
- Fiscally Sponsored Organizations: If you are a nonprofit organization that does not yet have 501c3 status and your fiscal sponsor meets the following minimum requirements, you are eligible to apply:
- Fiscal Sponsor has been in existence for at least five years
- It has at least $1,000,000 in assets
- It has sponsored other organizations previously
- You have had a fiscal sponsor agreement in place for at least six months prior to the application date.
- Your fiscal sponsor’s fees are less than 10% of the total granted amount.
Non-eligible organizations include:
- Organizations with racially discriminatory practices
- Private foundations and private operating foundations
- Groups that participate in partisan politics
- Type III Supporting Organizations under Section 509(a)(3)(B)(iii)
- Foreign organizations
- Terrorist organizations
- Re-granting organizations
- For-profit entities