LA Events Round Up: August 2021
The city is soliciting “public feedback on the draft version of the City of Los Angeles’ (City) List of
But first a few non-Big Green notices…
Tree Species for the Public Right of Way
.” The public-right-of-way includes streets and schools. You can provide feedback here
. Comments are due by the end of August.
Grow LA Victory Garden Classes
(UC Cooperative Extension of LA County) start in September and continue through the fall. Classes are available both online and hybrid and in English and Spanish! There are various courses throughout the county. You can learn more on the county’s Grow LA website
. $55 for four courses or $25 for those who cannot afford the total price. Registration is required. Classes fill up quickly!
LA County Master Gardener Program
applications for the Spring 2022 Training Program will open mid-November 2021. Like the Grow LA Victory Garden program, this program is part of the UC Cooperative Extension of LA County. These courses are more in-depth and require more commitment. To learn more about the Master Gardener program, visit their website
. You can sign up to receive a reminder when applications open up (it can be pretty competitive).
Big Green is not affiliated with the University of California Cooperative Extension, the Master Gardener Program, or Grow LA. These programs are beneficial for anyone wishing to learn more about gardening in our climate.
LA County Events August 15-31
The following events pertain to gardening, the environment, youth STEM, or food and nutrition and are free to the public unless expressly stated.
- California Native Plant Garden Maintenance: Summer Tasks [Santa Monica Mountains Fund]. August 21, 2021 @ 9:00 – 11:30 am. Registration is required. “Part demo and lecture, part hands-on maintenance class covering Summer tasks for new and established California native plant gardens.” Learn more here.
- Intro to Composting [LA County Public Works]. August 21, 2021 @ 10 – 11 am. Online. Registration is required. “Learn about backyard and worm composting to create a rich soil amendment to nourish your garden.” They will also take orders for compost bins. Learn more here.
- Take a Tour of LA County’s Natural Area Parks [LA County Library] August 24, 2021 @ 3pm. Online. For kids, tweens, and teens. “Get inspired for future adventures as we explore LA’s unique natural area parks and meet their animal ambassadors!” Learn more here.
- California Native Container Plants with Flora Ito [Theodore Payne Foundation]. August 25, 2021 @ 4:00 pm – 5:15 pm. Online. Registration is required. $25 for members, $35 for non-members. Learn more here.
- Climate Change: What Works and What You Can Do [California Native Plant Society – SCV Chapter]. August 25, 2021 @ 7:30 pm. Advanced registration is required if using Zoom or you can watch it on their YouTube page. Learn more here.
- Small-space Gardening [LA County Public Works]. August 26, 2021 @ 9 – 10 am. Advanced registration is required. “Learn to grow plants in containers and set up a small-space worm composting system.” They will also take orders for compost bins. Learn more here.
- Intro to Composting [LA County Public Works]. August 28, 2021 @ 10 – 11 am. Online. Registration is required. “Learn about backyard and worm composting to create a rich soil amendment to nourish your garden.” They will also take orders for compost bins. Learn more here.