Thank you for joining us on our first virtual workshop! We enjoyed seeing you all again and hearing what you were growing at home!
Below you will find the resources we mentioned and some supporting documents that reiterate covered topics.
- Spring & Summer Gardening Basics for Los Angeles County (Crop Guide) – UC Cooperative Extension of LA County >> this is an in-depth list of what ornamental plants (including flowers, shrubs, and some trees) and edible crops can be planted by month. It also includes an overview of gardening information for the spring and summer.
- Fall & Winter Gardening Basics for Los Angeles County – UC Cooperative Extension of LA County >> the same as above, except for September through February.
- First Steps to Garden Planning Worksheet >> this document is aimed at new gardeners to help them identify a sunny location.
- Growing Vegetables in Containers – UC Cooperative Extension of Contra Costa County >> a quick primer that reviews: what crops can be planted in containers (including what tomato varieties can be planted in 5 gallon containers), water conservation tips, how to select a good container, and more.
- Container Garden Whimsy – University of Illinois Extension >> ideas for using found objects
- What is the best soil for potted plants? – University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension >> a simple explanation of soilless mixes/media
- How to Make Your Own Potting Soil – Genesee County Master Gardener Newsletter >> a great write up on the pros and cons of different soil components and ideas on how to substitute environmentally harmful ones
- Fertilizing Container Vegetable Basics – Horticulture Magazine
- Fertilizing Citrus – UC Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Seed Saving
- What is the Difference Between Heirloom, Open-Pollinated, and Hybrid Organic Seeds? – Nature’s Path Organic
- Seed Saving Resources – Seed Savers Exchange
- LA Garden Council – LA Community Gardens
- Orange County Community Gardens list – maintained by UC Master Gardeners of Orange County
- Seed Library of Los Angeles
- Heirloom Seed Library of Long Beach
- Seed Libraries of Orange County
- Upcoming Home Gardening Event: Orange County Avocado [virtual] Festival June 22nd- 27th 2020
Thank you again for joining; we hope to see you soon!
Please report any errors to: email@example.com